Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lip balm! Lip lovin' lip balm!

I'm not sure where to start!  At the beginning?

Wunder Budder lip balms have always been made with a base of rich jojoba and apricot kernel oils infused with calendula flowers and solidified with golden beeswax.  I modeled them after the Original calendula salve, the one that the whole company started with (pictured below, to the right).

They also included cocoa butter in the beginning.  Although cocoa butter is widely used and it's a great butter, I wanted something different, something better, and started experimenting with other butters.

I settled on kokum butter, a butter with amazing skin softening properties, that melted right around skin temperature, allowing the lip balms to stay solid, but melted into lips when applied.

After a while, my most trusted supplier stopped selling kokum butter.  I never found out why, and never found another good supplier for it, so I was forced to choose again.

Because I was so happy with the kokum butter, I chose a butter with similar properties - Sal butter.

I loved it... Sal was softer than kokum butter, with a slightly lower melting point, and I ended up really happy that I was forced to make the change.

I still love sal butter, but about six months ago I started experimenting with mango butter.  Even though it's too hard generally to be used on its own, I fell in love with it the first time I dug out a little chunk from a fresh jar and massaged it into the back of my hand.  Even as a stand alone, it was amazing.  It had an almost invisible aroma, a nice light golden color, and it made my skin feel great!  I knew I had to find a way to work it into my products.

I decided to start with lip balms, and once it was in there, I fell in love with it all over again.  After a few long-time users (and two hopefully future employees, although I don't think they know it yet... yeah, Timm and Deirdre, if you're reading this, I'm talking to you!) and my husband told me they liked the new formula better than the old one and why (didn't get melty in pockets and didn't get crumbly when cold - neither which I knew the old formula did, and this is why I love feedback!), I knew I made the right decision.

The three new flavors of lip balm are made with the new mango butter formula: Lemony, Dark Mint and Java (not pictured).  For more information about the new flavors, click here to go to the lip balm page of the Wunder Budder website.

Lemony natural lip balm by Wunder Budder
Dark Mint natural lip balm by Wunder Budder

Over the next month or so, I'll be transforming all Wunder Budder lip balms to the new formula.  I really think you're going to love the new flavors, and the new smoother formula!
Spread the love!

XoXo,
Lisa

www.wunderbudder.com


No comments: