Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Slacking.

I used to be really good at slacking.

I've had a job since I was 15 (and babysat before that), and although many of those years were spent working well over 40 hours a week, and most of them also included school of some kind, I somehow always found time to slack. 

Good, old-fashioned slacking... just sitting and watching the world go by, listening to birds chirping, riding my bike, attempting to to draw or paint, whatever it was, it was time I spent by myself and feeling a deeper connection to the world around me.

Then I started school full time, majoring in a subject that I loved but never really saw myself making a life out of, with some of my professors expecting much more effort out of students than they wanted to put into teaching, in a school that I hated more than pretty much anything else in the world.

I did that for two full years.  Why did I wait so long to change things?  I have no idea.  I was so stressed out, so broke, tired, sick, over-worked, under-funned, I don't think I really knew what was happening.  Or, I did, but I was in denial.  Or, I knew it, but I just wanted to finish something.  I still haven't decided.

Then a string of events happened (The Story Part 1... but after just looking back on it, I guess I still need to write more of the story!).  Wunder Budder was sent into motion.

I went straight from being all those things I mentioned, to being all those things I mentioned (only I was loving what I was doing this time), with no break in between.

After three years with no real break, I'm teaching myself how to slack again.  And to not feel guilty for it.

One of my forever goals is to find balance in all aspects in my life.  This year, my focus is to find balance between growing a small business, spending time with the people I need in my life, some old-fashioned slacking, and any combination of those things.

I started with sleeping more, only using an alarm when absolutely necessary, and becoming more organized... to quit wasting time trying to keep my head, my business, my life together, and just take steps to make sure they stay together without all the extra effort, at least most of the time. 

I've discovered projects... as in, a goal, with a time frame, split up into parts for a less overwhelming experience.  This month I have two major goals... to have my studio fully organized and to have my lip balm wholesale campaign ready to go by May 1st.

So far, so good, and I can't wait to show off my studio before and after pictures later this month!

XoXo,
Lisa
www.wunderbudder.com

2 comments:

elisa said...

Can't wait to see the pics! I think my time spent slacking is absolutely necessary in order to prevent a complete breakdown! When I think of it that way, I feel less guilty.

Wunder Budder said...

That's what I'm just starting to learn again! It's totally a necessary part of life. Slackers unite!